Friday, September 14, 2007

"The Right Now! Show"

On Wednesday night, we went to the pilot taping of "The Right Now! Show," a sketch comedy production that will possibly air on Fox. Having arrived two hours early on foot (cars are for wusses), we got front-of-the-line status and secured a prime perch for people-watching. Within 15 minutes of standing in line, we saw a couple that looked very familiar, but we couldn't figure out how we knew them. After much deliberation, it hit us: That's the couple that was sitting next to us at Baja Fresh twenty minutes ago. Small world! Then we saw some homeless people. And then a guy walking on the adjacent sidewalk screamed "SKETCH COMEDY SUCKS!" We didn't know how to respond to that. Yes, sometimes sketch comedy does suck, you're right. But occasionally it doesn't, but I'm not gonna have this argument over 5 lanes of traffic, Sir.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the evening was star-studded.

After an hour of waiting in line, we had our second celebrity siting since we moved to LA. There in his baseball hat, thick glasses, and goatee was the Analrapist himself, David Cross. Talking, breathing, blinking-- right in front of our faces! Not much for celebrity subtlety (I once followed Scarlett Johansson for 5 blocks in the West Village, allowing only 6 inches between us), we stared. Ok, I stared. I figured the harder I looked at him, the more likely he'd be to walk up to me and say "hey there, want some money?!"

When we filed into the theater, guess who was sitting RIGHT behind us? Yup, a douchebag with an annoying voice on an annoying date with an annoying girl. The combination of their annoying conversation and annoying laughter was interfering with my ability to listen to David Cross, who was sitting RIGHT behind them. It was annoying. Then, who comes over and joins Tobias but Bob Odenkirk. Surely they were talking serious comedy, planning their next collaboration, and debating whether to call the cops on the curly headed lipstick-smeared pyscho and her head-banded friend sitting and staring two rows away. I'll explain the lipstick situation in a later post.

So, these were my two celeb sightings. I have no idea about that third guy Cissy was talking about. But I presume he's famous. I have no recollection of seeing him. I was too busy making excuses to turn around and stare/laugh at the rows behind me.

No comments: