Friday, September 14, 2007

I'll Make My Own Decisions, Thank You Very Much

One thing about living in LA, we now have access to all the places you read about in magazines and on websites. The same stores, restaurants, and outdoor space that you constantly see celebrities and hipsters frequenting on the glossy pages or computer monitors. Not being the type of girls to pass up a good celebrity sighting (see below posts...) Julia and I made it our personal goals (getting jobs are overrated) to visit some of the top popular places in LA.

Sight One: Pinkberry
From the Pinkberry Wikipedia entry "The tart, frozen dessert has a groupie-like following who sometimes refer to it as 'Crackberry'"
Now I'll be the first to admit that I have never tried crack before so I cant make the comparison but I can say maybe being on crack is what it takes to love this place so much. Don't get me wrong I didn't hate it. I actually kind of enjoyed it, its good. Its frozen yogurt with your choice of toppings. I just don't understand the blatant obsession it is for most people. Personally I rather get my brain freeze from the Sugar Free, 15 calories a pop, Popsicles I keep stocked in our freezer at home.


Sight Two: In N Out Burger
First of all, I will NOT, be making any obvious jokes based on the title. So if you are into that sort of crude humor you can go read Adelaide's cooking blog. On a hungover Sunday Julia and I decided it would be the perfect opportunity to try In N Out burger. A favorite amongst those who eat in LA and the place Paris Hilton was going to when arrested for drunk driving. Now I don't want to be an LA buzz kill, because its awesome out here, my issue is with these places with cult like followings. It was an OK burger with mediocre at best fries...and I was hungover. The perfect state to be in while eating this sort of food. Maybe I'm just an East Coast kid at heart but Ill take Five Guys over In N Out any day.

Sight Three: Runyon Canyon
LA might seem like a playground for intense shopping, hip eateries, and the home of A, B, C, and D list celebrities. But its not all superficial. There are beautiful mountains our here, the perfect place for trendy hiking and an unobtrusive view of said celebrities. Julia and I had the pleasure of spending our first hike going up the hardest trail with a friend of Julia's, Isabelle. Many times during the half hour ascent I contemplated throwing myself down the mountain just to spite Julia and Isabelle for leading me up there in the first place. However, when I wasn't contemplating suicide I was marveling at the insane views of the city. Before I knew it we were at the top (literally the top of the mountain) when I wasn't feeling overly proud of myself I was wondering out loud to Julia why we didn't live in one of the million apartment buildings down below with swimming pool roofs. The Hollywood Hills are gorgeous. Cool, quirky, houses built right into the mountains. Being the intense voyeur that I am it was fun to "house watch" and catch a glimpse into "mountain living" LA style. This was the one place that is truly worth the hype.

Sight Four: The Scientology Celebrity Center
WORTH IT!!! There are no words. Please join Julia and I in our celebration of our new lives at our Scientology Confirmation, September 31st, 2007.

No comments: