Saturday, September 8, 2007

In LA for 5 minutes and Im already Whor'ing it up

My last night in DC as I was packing up my clothing to bring to LA with me I had to make a very big decision. What would my first LA outfit be? Having gained all my knowledge of LA from TV or movies I had the distinct impression that if I did not arrive anything less then completely fashionable then I should not arrive at all. I decided on a casual (yet hip) green dress. In my mind I was sure that I would arrive and instantly fit in with all the other cool, and hip LA girls. Secure in my choice I went to sleep dreaming of all that was to come in LA. The next morning went off without a hitch. We made it to the airport in good time. The only minor set back at the airport was when I checked in, received my ticket and without thinking walked away. Only to realize 5 minutes later that I had no ticket and my green dress (among other things) was about to go to a complete waste because I would not be able to go to LA. I turned around to go back to the counter and beg for another ticket, when there smiling at me and holding my ticket out was the American Airlines man who checked me in. "I thought you might need this" he said, smiling and with a slight laugh. Not even in LA yet and I already had one "cheesy movie moment" under my belt, I was officially on my way.
I met Julia at our gate and we boarded the plane. Unfortunately we were not next to each other on the plane, but in another twist of fate I was seated one seat over from my friends mother, Mrs. Nunez. My close friend from childhood, Alex, lives in LA and her parents were on their way to visit her. Lucky for me I still look the same now as I did when I was 10 and Mrs. Nunez instantly recognized me. We shared a sandwich and she filled me in on what California is like, it was a very pleasant surprise indeed. Although, I don't think the woman sitting between us shared out sentiment. There was no way I was giving up my window seat having never flown across the country before, and I know Mrs. Nunez felt the same way about her aisle seat.
Our 5 hour plane ride was smooth and painless, with much texting between Julia and I about how we wanted to completely furnish our future apartment with items bought exclusively from Sky Mall magazine. Being in the window seat and not wanting to further annoy the woman sitting between Mrs. Nunez and I, I didn't get up to go to the bathroom or stretch once. When we finally landed I stood up immediately, more then ready to stretch my legs and start my new life in California. I looked around the plane and realized a lot of people were looking at me. In my head I thought, "they probably think I am a real LA girl in my hip green dress, actually they probably think I'm famous, they probably think I am some down to earth famous girl sitting in couch class in my super hip green dress on my way home to LA"
Turns out they were not thinking any of those things, but were in fact thinking "look at that girl with her dress tucked into her under ware, her huge dorky underwear." I guess in all my outfit planning I forgot to realize that granny panties are NOT cool. In DC or LA.

No comments: