Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Hollywood Psychic. Great job? Or Greatest Job?

Today walking home from Target I was stopped by a woman pushing a stroller. She loudly said "Excuse Me!" and I stopped thinking she needed directions or was going to ask me for change. She immediately identified herself and the interaction is as follows:

Psychic: I'm a psychic and I just want you to know I see good things for you in the next year. Whats your name?
Me: Ohh, great! Thank You. My name is Cissy(I'm smiling and for a second I actually believe her)
Psychic: You shine so bright. I know you faced some obstacles last year. But this year I think your hard work towards your goals will pay off.
Me: Oh, ok, great, thank you.. (I'm still smiling but starting to get a little skeptic, especially since I know I am not "shining so bright" I'm wearing a shirt with stains on it, and the whole reason I went to Target was to buy shampoo because I hadn't washed my hair in two days)
Psychic: Whats your name?
Me: Cissy. (At this point I'm thinking, common lady I JUST told you my name, now I understand you're no mind reader but you should remember my name if you are going to try and sell me this load of crap)
Psychic: Cissy, did you face some obstacles last year?
Me: Sort of....(I'm half smiling at this point, but frankly I was hoping for a bit more out of this. Of course I faced some obstacles in the last year, who doesn't go a whole f-ing year without some obstacles?!)
Psychic: I can give you a reading right now. (We are standing on the side of the road and she is pushing a baby carriage with a real kid in it)
Me: Oh no thanks...(and I walked away)


For the rest of the walk home I began thinking what a great job a Hollywood Psychic would be. I mean 9 out of 10 people you meet out here are trying to break into the industry in some way. So of course they have big goals, and obstacles to face. Also it is such a toss up if most of these people are ever going to achieve the level of fame they want so most are really desperate for some sign of hope. I admit that even I in the first seconds of our encounter really believed that this woman could tell I was "special." A psychic in general is a pretty easy job but a psychic in Hollywood, well that's a gold mine!!

No comments: