Friday, February 1, 2008

The H Word

Living in LA I have become accustomed to hearing about the latest trends and fashions and "it" people and movies, stores, restaurants, etc. My response is usually a poor imitation of Michael Bluth responding to George-Michael bringing home Anne Veal.

Juno is nominated for best picture. Really?
Scarlett Johansson is the best and most attractive young actress in Hollywood. Her?
Umbrella was the greatest song to come out in the last year. Seriously?
Miley Cyrus sold 16 Mil. in pre-sale tickets. WTF?!
Barack Obama- Fine, I said it.

I credit all of these people and things being popular because of hype and hipness. They garner so much hype that they trick you into thinking they are legit, and then they are considered hip so you feel like a weirdo who doesn't get it if you don't agree. I for one am sick of it. I thought JUNO was hacky as shit. Who speaks in one-liners so frequently besides a car salesman by day/open mic coffee shop comic by night? As for ScarJo it seems to me like she is constantly doing a bad impression of an even worse actress. It's like that's her "thing" and everyone is just saying oh my god, how amazing is it that this beautiful woman with HUGE tits who is about 4 feet tall can act like such a lame girl. Actually you know what, she is hot. I agree with that. But her skills as an actress, I will not concede to. As for Umbrella my only argument is to reference the title of the song. That is all. Oh and to write a song about galoshes and make a million bucks. As for Miley Cyrus I probably don't get it because I'm not 13 anymore. However, I will give everyone who reads this blog $1 dollar if she is not in rehab by the time she is my age. Thats right, I will shell out 8 dollars if she is not in rehab by the time she is 23.

Before I end this rant on pop culture I would like to bring to your attention one H word I actually do embrace. It's honesty. I honestly love a lot of pop culture BS. For example, The Girls Next Door, I LOVE that show. I also have been known to watch the Hills, and I owned about 5 seasons (out of about 37) of Friends back in high school and early college. Pop culture is not all bad, but I encourage you, dear readers, if you are looking for a break from it all why not just settle in, with a nice big Slanket, and watch The Wire.

No comments: